48 years of Grant Wahl, an American football journalist and reporter, “was killed” during Argentina’s quarterfinal win in Qatar for wearing a rainbow flag.

According to reports, Grant collapsed at Lusail’s iconic stadium on Friday after covering Argentina’s quarterfinal win. He was then rushed to a nearby hospital but passed away; it is still unclear whether he died at the hospital or in the transport.

His passing was confirmed by his brother, Eric, via video on Instagram, who claims his brother was healthy before he collapsed during the game. American football journalist Grant Wahl has died at age 48 in Qatar while covering the World Cup, says his brother.

He collapsed at the stadium, was given CPR, was taken by Uber to the hospital, and died, according to Celine. Grant’s wife: “We just spoke with the state department, and Celine has spoken to Ron Klain and the White House.”

Grant Wahl's brother, Eric.

Grant Wahl’s brother, Eric. (image: Instagram)

Wahl’s brother believes his brother died because of his words on Instagram. My name is Eric Wahl. I live in Seattle, Washington. I am Grant Wahl’s brother. I’m gay.

I’m the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the World Cup. My brother was healthy. He told me he received death threats. I do not believe my brother just died. I believe he was killed. And I just beg for any help.”

Eric also believes Grant was killed after he was recently detained for 35 minutes for wearing a rainbow flag shirt during the United States’ opening game against Wales.

On November 21, Eric, who works for CBS Sports, was detained for 30 minutes for wearing a rainbow shirt to the game at Qatar’s Ahmad bin Ali Stadium as a sign of solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community, which is illegal in Qatar (homosexuality is illegal in Qatar), but later was allowed into the stadium.

Grant Wahl

American sports journalist Grant Wahl

He wrote in his Substack column: “Then a security commander approached me.”
“He said they were letting me through and apologized.” We shook hands. One of the security guards told me they were just trying to protect me from fans inside who could harm me for wearing the shirt. A Fifa representative later apologised to me as well.

He tweeted on November 21: “I’m OK, but that was an unnecessary ordeal.” I’m in the media centre, still wearing my shirt. was detained for nearly half an hour. Go gays”